PREPARING FOR YOUR SUNFLOWER MINI PHOTOGRAPHY SESSION
To help you get the most from your Sunflower mini session, here’s some information, links and preparation tips which I hope you’ll find useful. Scroll down to download your free guide with 5 tips to make the most of your mini photography session. So, grab a coffee and have a browse and if there’s anything else you want to ask, feel free to get in touch.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO CONSIDER
Babies – due to the nature of of the environment and time restrictions the orchard mini sessions are not suitable for children under 1 year of age.
Big Families – it really isn’t possible to photograph larger families in the time available, which is why these sessions are limited to 3 siblings. If you do want one family shot during the session this can be accommodated just let me know in advance as it will impact the number of images you’ll receive as part of this package. If you like the idea of a variety of individual, sibling and family shots one of my full sessions would be ideal for you.
Location Access – The Sunflower field is located just a short walk along a flat path directly from the car park. Please factor in time to park and to walk to the photograpy area.
Time and Temperament – Mini sessions can be ideal for children who have shorter attention spans than us adults. Most children are eager to get started and I do my best to make them feel comfortable and to ensure we have a fun time. However, if you feel your child takes a little longer to warm up and,as we are limited to 30 minutes, you might want to consider a full session. Avoid hangery moments by feeding your brood in advance (including Dad’s!)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where is the farm?
Sam’s Sunflower Field,
St. Peter’s Road | Hayling Island
Hampshire | PO11 0RT
From A27 take the Havant/Hayling Island exit and head South on Langstone Rd/A3023. After 1.3 miles turn left onto Northney Rd. Follow for 0.8 miles then continue onto St Peter’s Road, turning right after 0.4 miles to stay on St Peter’s Road. Turn right to park in the Sunflower fields following the farm signage.
Once you arrive, call me on 07974 177445 and I’ll direct you to where we will be shooting.
How can I make a full day of our trip?
🌻 The sunflower field experience
Your session includes free parking, entry and sunflower picking so there’s plenty to do at the field. Last year there were tractors to climb on, ice-cream and refreshments. So feel free to arrive earlier or stay later to explore the field. You can hire secateurs for your sunflower harvesting but best to bring your own if you have them as supplies are limited. To book additional tickets and to find more details visit here.
If you’re looking for refreshment either before or after your session I recommend The Ship Inn or the Royal Oak at Langstone. The Royal Oak is one of the most photographed pubs in England and it’s easy to see why!
Watching the sun go down over Langstone Harbour, soaking up the outstanding views, watching the myriad of birds and wildlife over a pint and some cheesey chips is the perfect way to spend an evening.
To avoid disappointment, it’s worth checking their websites for latest opening times and to book, as reservations are currently essential.
Enjoy one of my favourite walks around the harbour past Langstone Mill pond where you can feed the ducks in the millpond and along the shoreline (tide permitting), pas the saxon St Thomas à Becket Church and on to the harbour-side village of Emsworth.
When should we arrive?
Please aim to arrive 10-15 mins in advance of your session as unlike my full sessions, these will run back to back throughout the day and any missed sessions cannot be refunded.
What is the cancellation policy?
- Please note that sessions cancelled less than 72 hours in advance are non-refundable as it is unlikely your slot will be filled at short notice.
- In the event of bad weather an alternative session will be offered, if you are unable to attend a full refund will be provided.
- In the event of the Sunflower field being closed due to Covid-19 restrictions an alternative session will be offered, if you are unable to attend a full refund will be provided.
- In the event of the photographer having to cancel an alternative session will be offered, if possible in the sunflowers, an Autumn mini session or upgrade to a full session if you prefer. A full refund will be offered if this is not suitable for you.
What should we wear?
Photographs will be taken in a relatively localised area so open footwear is fine for your session. However, if you’re hoping to explore the field it’s best to bring closed footwear to change into for comfort.
If you’re a pinterest user you may like to check out my Sunflower pinterest board for more ideas. Generally I recommend co-ordinated but not matchy-matchy clothing. To add variety to your images, layers and accessories work really well too.
For girls: If you like tutu’s I can obtain these, just let know sizing and I’ll bring them along. These look great teamed with wellies or cowboy boots and denim jackets. Dresses and layers work beautifully too, as do dungarees and jeans.
For Boys: Denim, a simple shirt with the addition of braces and a cool trilby or cap is a classic and timeless look, or if you’re opting for something more hip I recommend checking out the latest Zara and Boden catalogues.
Don’t forget accessories such as braces, hats, and favourite toys for the little ones!
What happens in the event of bad weather?
Living in the UK this is a reasonable concern! However, it’s not essential to have bright sunlight – in fact, cloudy conditions provide a far more flattering light and enable a lot more flexibility during the session in terms of where the pictures are taken. I will monitor the weather as the date approaches and will be in touch to confirm the sessions, or in the event of rain to advise of reschedule to an alternative date. For this reason it’s best to have some flexibility around the session date so that you can still enjoy a Sunflower session.
What COVID-19 precautions are being taken/do we need to take?
The farm has put in place guidelines to keep everyone safe whilst on site:
Please read all the signs and follow them.
Do not attend if you or your household has symptoms
Follow all government guidelines with social distancing.
At present I am closely monitoring the daily changing Government guidelines and following their instructions accordingly.
- Wash/sanitise your hands prior to your session.
- Please contact me to reschedule your session if you have any symptoms (cough, high temperature and feel unwell) or have been in contact with someone with the virus.If you are not feeling great please contact me as soon as possible. I know it’s disappointing but our health is what is most important.
- Prior to each session I will clean and sanitise my photography equipment and props.
- I always extend a warm welcome on meeting my clients, but for the time being this welcome won’t be accompanied by a handshake or any other physical contact. It doesn’t mean I like you any less!!!
- Posing for photographs may take a little longer as wherever possible I’ll use verbal cues and demonstrate rather than physically move you. I may also need to direct parents to help position their children to avoid touching where possible.
- I will maintain my distance but will not be wearing a mask. We are outdoors with plenty of fresh air and wearing a mask tends to inhibit my ability to communicate effectively with you to direct you with posting etc. It’s not ideal but if you’d prefer me to wear one then please ask.
Can we order additional prints and products?
Yes of course! AND you’ll receive 20% discount against these when you order within 2 weeks of receiving your images. If you’re super organised for Christmas or upcoming family birthdays there are plenty of options to create the perfect gifts. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, feel free to ask.