PREPARING FOR YOUR HEADSHOT MINI PHOTOGRAPHY SESSION
To help you get the most from your headshot mini session, here’s some information, links and preparation tips which I hope you’ll find useful. If you haven’t done it yet don’t forget to download your free guide with 5 tips to make the most of your mini photography session. So, grab a coffee and have a browse and if there’s anything else you want to ask, feel free to get in touch.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO CONSIDER
Session duration – These sessions are short and sweet with just enough time to create a gallery with enough choice for you to enjoy a handful of fresh images. If you are looking for something totally customised with a wider variety of images you’ll find my personal branding sessions a better fit. Enjoy an experience which features locations aligned to your brand, time for outfit changes, more images for you to select from and which provide a comprehensive library of images telling the story of you and your brand.
COVID-19 Guarantee – Life is a bit fluid right now isn’t it? So in the event that your photography session can’t go ahead either due to Covid-19 precautions restricting access to the venue you’ll be offered a FULL REFUND or upgrade to an extended session.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where will the sessions be held?
Almodington | Chichester
West Sussex | PO20 7LD
Parking | There is allocated parking beside the driveway fencing just before the barn. Due to social distancing please leave enough room for the previous client to leave and remain in your car until we are ready for you.
From the M27 a the Stockbridge roundabout, take the exit onto Stockbridge Road/A286.
After passing Premier Motorhomes on your right turn left onto Sidlesham Lane.
Continue straight onto Batchmere Road at the junction with Mapsons Lane (signposted Selsey).
Entering Almodington contine along and after passing Almodington Nurseries and then Biotecture both on your right take the second drive way on the left and you will have reached Poplars Farmhouse.
The farmhouse offers a fabulous range of backdrops to feature in your images and it may be possible to include images inside if you’d like.
I will send you a questionnaire prior to the shoot to learn more about you, your business and what you want from your photos. I’ll then select the right backdrops and lighting for you.
What can I expect?
Once you book you’ll receive a short questionnaire so that I can find out more about you and your business or career. You’ll also receive my guide with top confidence boosting tips and a link on how to prepare for your session.
During the 30 minute session we’ll move to a few different locations to provide a little variety to your images, chosen with you and your brand in mind.
I’ll provide gentle posing guidance but these images are about the real you, feeling relaxed and enjoying the session – so nothing too stiff or awkward I promise!
2-3 weeks after your session, you’ll receive an online secure gallery with your images from which you can choose your favourites. Once you place your order I’ll give them a final polish and deliver them to you within 2-3 days. Sized ready for your social media platform and as a high resolution file, you’ll be able to instantly download and share them.
Who are these sessions for?
A great fit if a full personal branding session isn’t what you need right now and you’re looking for something affordable that won’t take too much time.
You’re looking for a handful of fresh headshots to connect with your audience. Whether that’s your perfect customer or with a dream employer and colleagues, these headshot mini sessions are the perfect opportunity to create authentic images which you’ll love to share.
Do I need professional hair and make up?
It’s not essential by any means. Take a look at the guide for tips for hair and make-up as you may feel more comfortable applying it yourself.
That said, it can be nice to have a little pamper and can also boost your confidence. If you’d like details of suppliers I’ve worked with (and used personally) drop me a line and I’ll send details over to you.
If you are lucky enough to secure a hair appointment following lockdown try to plan this in 1-2 weeks before the shoot so your style has time to settle before the shoot.
For male clients it’s worth thinking about whether you want to shave pre-shoot. Removing stubble post-processing isn’t something I offer as it really.does.take.forever. Far easier to shave in advance.
The most important thing is that it look like you. This isn’t the time to try something completely new.
What should I wear?
Did you click on this one first? I’m not surprised at all as it’s the one question ALL my clients ask!
In our guide, Vicky Booker Stylist started by providing some simple styling advise for headshot sessions. Now you’re booked, here’s a little more detail about things to consider when you’re planning your wardrobe. which we hope you find useful.
- Think about your brand colours and wear colours that co-ordinate with these. Make sure the colours of your clothes will work on your linked in profile or if used on the company website.
- Make sure that the colours that you wear actually suit you.
- Wear solid colours…I love patterns but solid colours tend to work best at photo shoots as they don’t detract from your face. If you’re known for your patterns though, feel free to wear them for part of your shoot to mix things up a little. There’s so many ways to add pattern in your images without wearing it head to toe, if you’re stuck just ask myself or Vicky.
- Wear clothes that fit well. Avoid clothes that are too tight or too loose as that can make you look bigger than you are (think Gok Wan pulling in women’s clothes round their waists!)
- Wear layers to create a different look in your photos simply by removing or adding a jumper or jacket. We won’t have time for a full outfit change but layers can help to give you a few different looks without having to go to a changing room.
- Accessorise. Swapping jewellery around for different shots has the same affect. Try to wear just one statement piece, so either big earrings or a statement necklace rather than both.
With regards to glasses, if you wear glasses all of the time then it makes sense to wear them for your shoot as well. If you only wear them some of the time then I’ll take some photos of you wearing your glasses, but most will be without as they can cause problems with reflections. If you wear glasses with non-reflective lenses in then this is great as it really helps combat the glare.
- Add variety by bringing a couple of different options and send pictures in advance. If you’re not sure we can review them when you arrive or ideally in advance of the day. We may have time for one change during your session and also have options if the tops aren’t working with the light conditions or background.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Whilst it’s true that heels elongate your body and make your legs look longer, consider your photoshoot location as well as what you would typically wear. This is all about your personality shining through and avoiding painful expressions in painful footwear!
Location Styling Tip:
The farmhouse has a mix of hard and softer ground so you may like to bring a change of shoes just incase. Even if you wear wellies I can shoot from the waist up so whatever is most comfortable and practical for you!
- Avoid wearing something you wouldn’t normally or something that makes you feel uncomfortable. If you feel good, you’ll look good!
- Avoid wearing clothes that are old, bobbly, stained or creased (including spare clothing you are bringing along with you during transit). This is likely to show up in your photos and could end up costing you more in retouching fees.
- Avoid logos, neon colours, or busy prints. Did I mention that these will overpower the images and make clothing the focus rather than you? Also please be aware than thin stripes can warp in your images so are best avoided.
- Avoid too much skin. We’ll also be able to include a wider range of poses without the risk of flashing anything we don’t mean to!
- Avoid polo necks as these can make you look like you have a floating head. Not such a good look.
- Avoid stark white or jet black tops where possible. Black jackets with different colour tops under is ok, or a black or white top (not polo neck) with a neck line is fine. But if you can, cream, grey or navy tops are better than white or black, especially against the black shiplap cladding of the threshing barn.
Overall, remember the key to a confident session is that you’re comfortable in clothing which is truly representative of you. If you’ve taken the above into account you should be ready to go!
Do you offer personalised styling advice?
Alongside styling tips in our guide and faq, Vicky Booker and I will be hosting a series of insta ‘lives’ where we will be discussing a selection of these in more detail.
Take these one step further and curate a session wardrobe which will make you feel super confident with personal colour and styling advice from Vicky Booker Stylist.
Vicky ‘s styling packages have been developed specifically for these headshot sessions, tailored around the areas you want to focus on, your personality and brand style.
For more details and to get in touch click here.
When should I arrive?
Please aim to arrive 10 mins in advance of your session as unlike my full sessions, these will run back to back throughout the morning and any missed sessions cannot be refunded.
What happens in the event of bad weather?
The farmouse also has a large spacious barn and indoor space unaffected by the weather so it’s not an issue if the weather takes a turn for the worst. It will rule out the opportunity of outdoor images in the garden so if this is essential for your session you may find a customised session with flexibility of rescheduling in the event of bad weather is a better fit. Alternatively you are welcome to rebook for the next headshot morning later in the year.
What is the cancellation policy?
- Please note that sessions cancelled less than 72 hours in advance are non-refundable as it is unlikely your slot will be filled at short notice.
- In the event of the venue being unavailable due to Covid-19 restrictions or other reasons outside our control, an alternative session will be offered. If you are unable to attend the alternative session a full refund will be provided.
- In the event of the photographer having to cancel an alternative session will be offered or upgrade to a fully customised session if you prefer. A full refund will be offered if this is not suitable for you.
What COVID-19 precautions are being taken/do I need to take?
We’re all used to it by now but there are a few guidelines to keep everyone safe whilst on the premises.
- Please complete and return the covid questionnaire which will be emailed to you the evening prior to the session
- Do not attend if you or your household has symptoms
- Follow all government social distancing guidelines
At present I am closely monitoring the changing Government guidelines and following their instructions accordingly.
- Sanitise your hands on arrival
- Please contact me in advance of your session if you have any symptoms (cough, high temperature and feel unwell) or have been in contact with someone with the virus. If you are not feeling great please contact me as soon as possible. I know it’s disappointing but our health is what is most important.
- Prior to each session I will clean and sanitise my photography equipment and props
- I always extend a warm welcome on meeting my clients, but for the time being this welcome won’t be accompanied by a handshake or any other physical contact. It doesn’t mean I like you any less!!!
- I’ll use verbal cues and demonstrate rather than physically move you when it comes to posing. Don’t worry – I’m used to this!
- I will maintain my distance but will not be wearing a mask unless Governmental guidelines change as wearing a mask tends to inhibit my ability to communicate effectively with you to direct you with posting etc
Can I order additional images?
Yes of course! In addition to your 3 digital images included in your package you can order single images priced at £25 each.
You can also choose to enjoy a volume discount when you purchase a bundle package. These offer great value if you’re looking for a few extra images (or simply just can’t choose)!
5 extra images = £100 (each individual image £20 after that)
10 extra images = £180 (each individual image then £17)
15 extra images = £225 (each individual image then £15)
You will also receive an unlimited commercial licence to use your images.
Got other questions?